i love photographing newborns – especially when they bring along a sweet big sister!!
A Chicago Children's Photographer Blog
form submitted successfully, thank you.
Error submitting form, please try again.
if you’re anything like me, you have favorite blogs or sites where you go for inspiration. inspiration for anything – for getting through your day, for a project, for how you dress, for how you live your life, etc. today i’m sharing my top 5 blogs that i check on a regular basis – not surprisingly, most feature photos that i like to gaze upon, but I like the articles too!
1. humans of new york - http://www.humansofnewyork.com/ if you’ve never heard of this – check it out immediately! there is also a facebook page. the story of the photographer is interesting but i like it for the photos he takes of random people and the answers to the questions he asks them. it’s amazing what you can learn about someone if you just take the time to ask them.
2. the sartorialist - http://www.thesartorialist.com/ this blog is all about the photos. photos of beautiful people in beautiful clothes – sometimes not always beautiful, but always interesting. scott schuman travels all over the world photographing people he sees. cities that he frequents most are nyc, paris, florence, milan, tokyo, etc. his photos are beautiful and i always love to see what people around the world are wearing.
3. elements of style - http://www.elementsofstyleblog.com/ - this site is more of a interior design blog but i love it for a few reasons – the author, erin gates, seems really down-to-earth and honest. not only does she share beautiful home interior photos, ideas and “fashion friday” posts (which is my favorite!) she also shares really personal things about herself – which takes guts but is also very endearing.
4. pdn photo of the day - http://potd.pdnonline.com/ pdn (photo district news) is a professional publication for photographers. this blog posts a photo of the day – usually it’s more than just one photo.
5. joe mcnally - http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/ joe is an amazing photographer who’s shot covers for time, newsweek, and fortune magazines (to name just a few!) he’s also a contributing photographer to national geographic and has shot for sports illustrated. he’s won countless awards, published books, has many high profile clients, i could go on and on and on! but he’s also a really, really nice guy. a few years ago i attended a photography workshop where he was one of the instructors. he was so approachable, humble and funny. also, the way he approached his subjects, who were always complete strangers to him, was great to watch. check out his blog and poke around his website too!
so that’s my top 5. on the rare chance i have a few minutes to kill on the computer, these are my go-to blogs. they inspire me. they make me think about the world around me. and, often, they keep me from unloading the dishwasher.
and because i can’t blog without a photo – here’s a few i took from the workshop with joe mcnally:
what are some blogs you love to visit????
i’ve been thinking about my blog lately . . . ways to make it more interesting, how to motivate myself to keep it updated, etc. i’ve decided that thursdays will be dedicated to posting client images. tuesday posts will include photo tips, how-to’s, guest bloggers and all sorts of other goodies (including giveaways and contests!) so stay tuned and subscribe if you haven’t already!
this sweet baby girl came to the studio in december (yeah, i know, i’m a little behind!) but i’ve been working on her images for print lately and was reminded of how precious she is. often when i’m editing client images i catch myself with a big smile on my face – remembering the shoot, how cute the baby was and how much i love what i do!!!
display photos in my home?
I get this question a lot so i’ve decided to discuss this topic on my blog on a regular basis, giving ideas and showcasing cool products. if you’ve spent anytime reading this blog then you know that i highly encourage printing your images and displaying them in some way. especially if you are making an investment in hiring a professional photographer, but also the photos that you take on vacation and the day to day smartphone shots. kids love to see photos of themselves!!!! not only that, you’ll love it too once you do it! i can’t tell you how many times i will stop and stare at photos of my kids that i’ve hung on the wall. or even if i don’t stop, i smile as i go by.
but many people don’t know how to display their images. or maybe they are making it more complicated than it needs to be. often i’ll hear people say they don’t want their home to look like a shrine to their kids. i get that. but there are many cool and tasteful ways to display prints. you could mix in different art objects with your photos or photos of other people (i.e. grandparents, friends, etc.)
in my home i have two very long hallways (city lots – skinny, but long!), each about 30 feet long. i decided to treat them like art galleries. for the main floor i purchased frames that i love from room & board (a home furnishings store) and printed 8×10′s to go in them. i feel like it’s a good balance between showcasing photos i love and decorating my home. for the downstairs, i added more frames and designed it in a way that i can add to it if i feel like it. for this display, i added in more photos of grandparents, nieces and nephews – since this is near the guest bedroom and bathroom, i want them to see photos of themselves and feel welcome.
in both of these displays i have used both color and black and white prints – don’t be afraid to mix the two! if you keep something consistent – like the frames, in these instances, it ties it all together.
how are you displaying photos in your home? i’d love to see!!!
Shalimar Beekman is an award-winning professional photographer based in Chicago, IL. She specializes in baby photography, children's photography, newborn photography and family photography.